Armed Here to React

Insights.Opinions.Rants.Etc.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bridgewater, Massachusetts, United States

Saturday, January 20, 2007

Far Far Away

Inspired by a friend's recent ramblings on his blog, I have decided to return to my virtual soap box for some writing of my own.

Once again, as is the case several times a year, I am on vacation in Florida visiting my mother. I have traded rain, snow, and sub-freezing temperatures for a week in 70ยบ+ weather. It's been calm, average, and ordinary here. Most of the day is spent laying down and watching satellite television for hours on end, interrupted by brief romps in the heated pool or trips to whatever local chain restaurant my mother has a coupon for. Yet through this monotonous routine, I have felt an old familiar feeling creeping up inside of me. It often begins in the stomach, churning its way into my bloodstream, until my whole body is chilled with its infection.

I don't quite have a name for it. It resembles the lack of color and life that depression embodies. Yet I also have the unnecessary worry and fear that comes along with anxiety. Or perhaps it could be labeled simply as boredom. Whatever it is, I don't like it.

While listening to a sermon that I missed past Sunday, I began to envision myself sitting in church around the people that have evolved from acquaintances, to friends, and eventually into family. Quite literally I see these people in my life as the body of Christ. Woven together by a spiritual flesh and blood, we share an unspoken connection more powerful than any tie on Earth. Sadly, as is often the case with human beings (myself included), I have lived unaware of what a blessing this family has been to me.

If anyone has ever lost a limb, or even severely injured themselves in any way, they can have a pretty exact idea of how I feel at the moment. Take a broken toe for instance. You will spend years unaware of just how much such a small body part helps you along. Break that toe, and suddenly your stride is off balance. Every step sends piercing pains through your foot, eventually spreading. Lacking the proper support, your legs begin to ache, and eventually your lower back. It's not until the toe is fully healed that you can go back to feeling your body as a whole.

This is reminiscent of what pains my heart while I am away in a distant state. While separated from my community, I am able to see more clearly just how amazing everyone in my life is. From this new perspective, I am able to see God's hands working so beautifully in my life. Each person is hand selected by God, chosen for exactly what they can offer me, and it turn what I can offer them. God's ultimate plan is to redeem every single soul on the face of the Earth. Sometimes, he does this through ground-rumbling miracles, like Moses and the burning bush. But the other 99% of the time, he uses human beings. By the wonder of the Holy Spirit, God is able to control our hearts and our tongues. He speaks to us in our greatest time of need not by a great booming voice atop a mountain, but by the gentle voice of a concerned friend. He speaks to us through prayers, through warm hugs, through home-cooked meals and late night conversations. Most of the time, when we are the ones with something to offer, we say we are following our hearts, and lift up our false humility. Let us not belittle the wonder the God brings through us.

I see here the life I could have lived without Jesus, and frankly it scares me. I see how easily Satan clouds the vision of the Lost. Only by stepping into the light are we truly able to see how the darkness compares. Thankfully, I have been blessed with the gift of perspective. I pray for the same gift for everyone in my life who hasn't experienced it. Until then, I can't wait for the reunion.

-Matty T

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amazing post Matty, I absolutely connect with it 100%. It's funny how having distance between us makes me realize how much a part of my life you've become and how lucky we are that God brought us together. The body analogy was spot on too and beautifully written. Enjoy the warm weather while you still can and I'll look forward to hearing all about it when you get back.

10:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home